Helpful Moving Tips
4 weeks before you move
- Discard or sell anything you don't really need.
- Start a log of moving expense receipts.
- Review your moving arrangements.
- Make a list of the items you wish to move.
- Arrange transport service for vehicles if needed.
- Collect packing cartons for those items you want to pack
- Change your address on magazine subscriptions.
- Inform the Post Office and complete a Change of Address
- Prepare list of address change notices.
- Circulate your change of address to friends and businesses.
- Have your W-2s and other tax forms forwarded.
- If this is a permanent move-clear any unpaid tax assessments.
- Contact your doctors. Get referrals for new physicians.
- Arrange for transfer of all medical and dental records to
your new location.
- Change your property, auto, and medical insurance policies.
- Change any direct deposits.
- Check auto licensing requirements for your destination.
- Give day care provider notice that you will be withdrawing
- Transfer school records to new school.
- Arrange for transfer of jewelry and important documents.
- Organize important documents in a fire-safe box.
- Close local charge accounts.
- Arrange for shipment of pets and immunization records.
- Make travel plans.
- Make hotel reservations and note to confirm before departure.
2 Weeks before you move
- Collect all clothing and items from the Dry Cleaner.
- Hold a garage sale to get rid of the things you don't want
- Have all medical prescriptions refilled and confirm that
they are refillable at your new destination.
- Tell utility services of your moving date.
- Begin packing things that aren't used on a daily basis.
- Have your bank transfer your accounts and release your safe
- Take measurements of rooms in your new house. Try to determine
where furniture will be placed.
- Make arrangements to have special appliances serviced for
- Try not to buy more perishable food items.
1 Week before you move
- Dispose of all flammables and explosives.
- Make an inventory list of all items going with you personally.
- Confirm arrangements and dates with moving and storage companies.
- Inform friends and relatives of your new address.
- Have your cleaning supplies ready.
- Pack suitcases. Include all items you will need until your
- Pack yard and shed items.
- Select games and books to occupy children while traveling.
- If travelling with children, arrange for baby sitter for
moving day so that personal attention can be given to the
The Day Before
- Finish packing personal belongings.
- Close bank accounts.
- Purchase traveler's checks, if needed.
- Finish all financial matters relating to the sale or lease
of your home.
- Empty and defrost your refrigerator and freezer and let
them air out for at least 24 hours. Also clean and air out
- Be available to answer mover's inquiries and be prepared
to give directions or have someone there authorized to do
- Confirm delivery address, directions and delivery date with
- Accompany the movers representative while he prepares the
inventory list of items for your signature.
- Make a last-minute check of your appliances to see that
they have been disconnected.
- Thoroughly clean your house or apartment before leaving.
- Check thermostat. Make sure doors are closed and locked
and appliances are turned off. Leave garage door openers and
keys with your Realtor, new owners, or renters, if necessary.
- Sign the Bill of Lading and make sure it shows desired valuation,
correct delivery address as well as your contact address en
route. Save copies of all shipping documents.
Final cost information will be determined after your shipment
has been weighed.
- Make sure your real estate agent knows how to contact you.
- Upon arrival at your destination, call the moving company
promptly and verify that they have your new address and phone
number so that they can make arrangements for delivery of
- Make sure all utilities are functioning.
- Let family and friends know you have arrived safely.
- Be present during unloading ready to direct placement of
- Check the condition of your belongings. If any items are
damaged or missing, note this on the inventory list and report
it to the movers immediately.
- Let your kids begin unpacking and getting their rooms together.
- Kick your feet up, relax, and enjoy!